Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Day 5 of the Character Creation Challenge - Living Legends

 

Today’s game is a game published by Jeff Dee in 2005. It is Living Legends by UNIGames. It is still supported by Monkey House Games. There are modules that contain Living Legends character sheets and modules published for Living Legends.

As I roll my character you will see similarities to it and Mighty Protectors. Living Legends was definitely an influence on Mighty Protectors. I have enjoyed reading the modules and reviewing the module characters. It came out at a time I wasn’t in any gaming groups so I never have played it, so I really can’t comment on the game mechanics or how it plays but it still a treasured item in my collection.

For the #31dayCharacterCreationChallenge I will be following the rule books as written. For this character I will be generating completely random.

First thing to do is to set the Power Level. I will use the Standard level which is 100 CPs for the starting character. I can add weaknesses to reach a max of 150 CPs

First is to randomly roll to assign the Basic Characteristics, by the nature of the table it will take 3 rolls to assign the 6 BCs.

Roll 1 = 2, Reflex (REFL) =16

Roll 2 = 5, Cool (COOL) = 11

Roll 3 = 7, Vitality (VITL) = 11

Physique (PHYS) = 7

Deftness (DEFT) = 7

Intellect (INTL) = 7

Now with the BC Level, Effects, and Value

BC                            Score   Level   Effect  Value

Physique (PHYS)        7          4          d4        6

Reflex (REFL)            16        6          d8        24

Deftness (DEFT)        7          4          d4        6

Intellect (INTL)          7          4          d4        6

Cool (COOL)              11        5          d6        12

Vitality (VITL)           11        5          d6        12

The rest of the stat blocks are completed using the Living Legends Character Record Sheet available for free from Monkey House Games website.

Place of Origin: roll 83 – Lost or Hidden region

Lost or Hidden region: roll 23 – Atlantis, Species: Atlantean, Culture: Primitive

Atlanteans are gilled, green-skinned humanoids with webbed fingers and toes. Increase the VITL of an Atlantean character by one level. Atlanteans get one less random Power roll but receive 2 Atlantean Abilities.

1 CP Adaptation (C): Water Breathing

9 Speed Bonus (V): Swim 8”

Age is 2d6+13+10 = 27. (Since Atlantean I used the choice of adding 10 to age to reflect experiences. I didn’t want to play a 17 year Atlantean coming to the USA)

 Gender roll is 6 so the PC is female.

MASS Roll for a Superheroic Female is 2d6 = 11. On the table that is 138 kg or 304 lbs. I like the extra weight as it represents density to survive the underwater pressure.

The MASS effect is d6.

Career Field

Roll 1 is Farming / Agriculture

Roll 2 is Journalism / Communications

Skill roll for Agriculture is Profession Rancher (INTL / S) Level 4

2 Skill rolls for Communications

Roll 1 is Language. Since she starts with English and Atlantean, I will add Swedish for her first encounter with surface dwellers

Roll 2 is Interrogation (COOL / G) Level 6.

For her powers I will roll 5 instead of 6 because of her Atlantean abilities.

The first two are based on her culture. I refer to the Primitive row on the table.

Roll 1 Power Class is 14 which is Training

Roll 2 Power Class is 93 which is Magic.

The remaining three are based on Origin Type. Since that hasn’t been determined yet, it is rolled next.

Origin Type = 75 which Mystical Project.

Roll 1 Power Class = 67 which is Artifact

Roll 2 Power Class = 12 which is training

Roll 3 Power Class = 50 which is Power

I will roll what the Artifact as it is the next on in the book as I work through the creation process.

Artifact = 86 which is a Secret Installation (-5 cost Mod) Immobile, Innocuous or disguised (Sacred Oak, Nexus Point). For the power I roll 1d8 (a 1d10 if Characteristics or Talent tables were to be included but they weren’t) to see which table to roll on. This is required by the rules but rolling was quicker that figure out which table to use as the character is still unclear to me.

Rolled Miscellaneous Combat Power: Shaping, with a roll 96 for one damage type and roll 49 for light. So a Secret Installation which can shape light, hmmm, yeah I got nothing. I will see what else the rolls bring. If I still got nothing I can assign 0 CPs, which is in essence dropping it.

Next is Magic. For Magic I roll an 81 which is Miracles. What is states next is don’t roll for the character’s Magic powers randomly. Every Magic power the character has counts … (I added the italics for emphasis). I flip to the power description.

Omni Power (C) This power gives a character all of the powers or skills in the game, or at least all of the powers and skills which fit within a certain concept. Using Omni Power takes no time, and each use gives the character another new power.

Oh my, take really focuses my character! She has everything! Okay I will come back to this later. I have three more powers to roll

Power rolled 7 for a Survival Power, Pain Resistance. The base CP is 8

For Training, I chose to roll on Heighted Characteristics both times.

Roll 1 is 33 for Heightened DEFT. For these I want to raise them 1 level. For DEFT that is +6 CPs

Roll 2 is 54 for Heightened REFL. For REFL 1 level is +4 CPs

Now to roll the Weaknesses

Roll 1 (automatic) I am allowed to choose Limited Education since she is not from the modern culture, so I do. This is 5 CPs

Roll 2 is 17 which is Compulsion, for common frequency and needing 4+ on COOL Task that is 15 CPs

Roll 3 is 73 which is Public Identity. This is 10 CPs

Roll 4 is 68 which is Poverty. I choose the lowest level for 15 CPs.

Roll 5 is 2 which is Attract Attacks. I really need a strong reasoning based on theme in the character design on why the PC is easier to hit and/or has certain attacks directed to her first. I decided that fire hits easier because the heat affects her Atlantean Physicality is a strong reason. This is 5 CPs

Finally I roll for Motivation. The roll is 10 which Carnage. She has come to smash the bad guys and their ocean destroying devices.

With my character being Atlantean and the weaknesses of Limited Education, Compulsion, Public Identity, Poverty, and Attack Attacks of Fire with a Motivation of Carnage, I have rolled a female Sub-Mariner trope character. So that is going to be the concept of the Omni Power. She has all the power of the sea creature kingdom.

For the Omni Power I need to determine how my CPs per power I get. So with a +16 modifier which is reduced to 13 for the -3 for a carried Holy Item, I compare my remaining CP of 56 to the Cost Table on page 25. It shows for 51 CPs I can get 9 CPs per power.

I start from the front of the abilities section reviewing each power to see if it fits into see life (I also Google Sea Life super powers and other websites for ideas). I then write in what I can get for 9 CPs or less.

For the Crab, I chose Armor

For the Mantis Shrimp, I chose Combat Maneuvers Strike

For the Electric Eel, I chose Energy Field, Electric Damage

For the Flying Fish, I chose Flying Gliding

For the Manta Ray, I chose Flying Water Gliding

For the Shark, I chose Heightened Sense Full Sense for Motion at range

For the Salmon, I chose Leaping with Speed Bonus modifier for a 5.33 leap

For the Piranha, I chose Natural Weaponry

For the Sea Cucumbers, I chose Regeneration

That leaves me with 5 CPs left I added that to my PHYS score. I add a power in the Other Abilities to track that I increase it with remaining CPs. I now total 150 CPs.

So now I will finish with her name and who she is. I decide on a mix of Amazonian Ambassador, Sea King, and a dash of Feral Beast man for good measure.

She was sent by the Council of Atlantis to be their Priestess to show the surface dweller to wage a Holy War against the defilers of the planet.

She is Oceania, the Atlantean Priestess gifted with an ancient artifact that grants her all the powers of the sea kingdom. She has come to the surface dwellers world to protect all life on the planet.




No comments:

Post a Comment