Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Day 4 of the Character Creation Challenge - Mighty Protectors

 

Today’s game is the game I play the most and GM my pbem game using. It is Mighty Protectors by Monkey House Games. It is the latest game by Jeff Dee and Jack Herman. I love it especially as the next generation of V&V. It has all the core elements of V&V game play and its random character generation but has GM tools for game balancing and Player Character development growth. For a long term campaign to last with the same Player Characters the players need to be able to tweak and growth them through the game experiences. Depending on the player this can be in basic ways and for other players it can be very elaborate. Mighty Protectors can handle both.

If you would like to see other example characters, the PCs of my game in on this website, Megalopolis, on the right hand side under the title Heroes of the Crusade are links to the Character Record sheets.

For the #31dayCharacterCreationChallenge I will be following the rule books as written. For this character I will be generating completely random.

First thing to do is to set the Power Level. I will use the Standard level which is 150 CPs for the starting character.

Player is me, Tom Hise

Name and Identity I will determine at the end.

Side: Good

Birthplace: rolled 51 so it is local. Born in the USA

Species: rolled 13 so Human

Culture: determined by Birthplace and Species so it is Modern

Age: 2d10+10= 17 years old

Gender Identity: rolled 41 which is woman

Gender Expression: rolled 81 which is woman

Biological Sex: rolled 68 which is CIS gender

Sexual Attraction: rolled 62 which results in straight

For the Basic Characteristic, I roll a d10 on the table 4 times and it will determine the BC to get the score of the roll.

Roll 1=8, so Intelligence gets 18

Roll 2=6 so Agility gets 16

Roll 3=9 so Cool gets 14

Roll 4=1 so Strength gets 12

This leaves Endurance with 10

I record these on the Character Record Sheet which will calculate the stat blocks for the rest of the character. I used a modified Character Record Sheet from the free one available at Monkey House Games website. Mine is specific geared for new players at Conventions so it has all relevant data together instead of looking at multiple places on the character sheet for it. The page numbers to the rulebook are included in case I need to reference it quickly during the game.

For weight it is 5d4 times 10. I roll 11, so she weighs 110 lbs.

For Background roll 3 times d100 and keep 2.

Roll 1 is Business/Sales – Drop

Roll 2 is Military which will be High School ROTC

Roll 3 is Medicine which will be volunteering at local hospital, nursing home, and being red cross certified (like Lifeguards are)

Motivation is rolled 2 times to keep 1

Roll 1 is Vengeance – Drop

Roll 2 is Utopian – World view drives her to confront the enemy.

Origin Type is rolled 2 times to keep 1

Roll 1 Mutated or Evolved – Inheritor of super-ability genes from her parent or ancestor. (I like the idea she is a daughter of one my other PCs)

Roll 2 Science Accident – Drop

Abilities & Weaknesses: I roll 6 Abilities of the 3 different tables of Offensive, Defensive, and Miscellaneous: 2 Offensive, 2 Defensive, and 2 Miscellaneous and 2 Weaknesses

Offensive roll 1 = 14 – Disintegration Ability

Offensive roll 2 = 10 – Devitalization Ray (I immediate think, could she be the daughter of Detective Ravage?)

Defensive roll 1 = 90 – Shield

Defensive roll 2 = 97 – Telekinesis

Miscellaneous roll 1 = 60 – Physical Ability

Miscellaneous roll 2 = 68 – Shaping.

Weaknesses roll 1 = 10 – Distinctive

Weaknesses roll 2 = 93 – Unliving

Out of the 6 abilities I need to select 4 Core abilities which will be initially assigned 20 CPs each.

I choose

Telekinesis = 20 (Telekinesis has both offensive and defensive ability, so I will use both as Core abilities)

Shield = 20

Shaping = 20

Physical Ability: Inertia = 20

This puts me at 150 CPs. I can drop the weaknesses and go with this or I could keep one or both weaknesses. If I keep both I could get an additional 20 CPs to my abilities (added to Core or I can add non Core abilities) because the weaknesses can be up to -20 CPs.

I don’t think Unliving fits the Inheritor concept I am wanting. I know that Android, Robots, and Statutes have been done as Legacies is comics before so I could keep if I want to.

That leaves Distinctive. I can have -5 CPs which means it is difficult for her to disguise herself as normal. This is a -4 to a task check. For -10 CPs it means it is impossible for her disguise herself. I remember a piece of artwork I won’t to use so I will use the difficult to disguise because of the uniqueness of her hair both in its length and how it interacts with her TK ability.

Weakness: Distinctive = -5 CP

This is where V&V character creation stops per the rules, there are lots of games played with house rules that allow further modification to the power sets. With Mighty Protectors this is where the GM tool set for balancing the campaign with the Player tool set for modifying the PC to be exacting how you want it and unique from all other Characters in the Campaign.

So here is my Core Abilities and Weakness again.

Telekinesis = 20

Shield = 20

Shaping = 20

Physical Ability: Inertia = 20

Weakness: Distinctive = -5 CP

With this I am at 145 CPs, I will be using the additional 5 CP for modifiers. I will first split Telekinesis into both its Offensive and Defensive abilities.

Telekinesis: Kinetic Manipulation = 10

Telekinesis: Personal Force Field = 10

That is too low in CPs as this will be her main ability for combat. I will reduce Shaping by 10 CPs to increase Kinetic Manipulation by 10 CPs. Reviewing Personal Force Fields I see that are 10 CPs of modifiers I want to take which will make the 10 CPs reach the level I want. I decide that Inertia will be the left over CPs as it reduces knockback, which I like as her TK ability holding her in place in addition to her weight.

Telekinesis: Kinetic Manipulation = 20

Telekinesis: Personal Force Field = 10

Shield = 20

Shaping = 10

Physical Ability: Inertia = 0

Weakness: Distinctive = -5 CP

This leaves me 25 CPs for modifiers and Inertia.

Let’s start with Telekinesis: Kinetic Manipulation.

Base 20 CPs for 2d8 Blunt Kinetic damage and lift 7,680 lbs

Modifier of double objects increases 2 objects at a time to 4 objects for +2.5 CPs

Modifier of Unobvious for +5 CPs. The default rules is all powers have 2 obvious effects which can be visual, audible, smell, etc. The player has to name the 2 ways the power can be detected. I have to admit I don’t require my players to do that at character creation time as I usually forget it. It has been an issue because I haven’t had too many instances where the players are hiding and attacking which would give away their position. I will have to remember to get their character sheets updated for this.

Since CP rounding occurs at the Ability (a minimum of 1 has to be spent). The 27.5 CPs becomes 28.

Telekinesis: Kinetic Manipulation; multi-kinetic & unobvious modifiers  = 28

Now Telekinesis: Personal Force Field

Base 20 CPs for PR of 16 provided Force Field of total value 24 which I split 8 against Kinetic, 6 against Energy, 5 against Bio, and 5 against Entropy and 0 against Physic. While the standard is 6 against each of the first 4 I don’t see a TK force field being as effective equally. I think it would be better at stopping Kinetic damage than the other 3 with stopping Energy being slightly better than the other 2.

Modifier of can’t block Non-Corporeal, Gas, and Teleportation for -10 CPs fits with a TK shield.

 Telekinesis: Personal Force Field with can’t block Non-Corporeal, Gas, & Teleportation modifiers = 10

Shield is next.

Shield provides additional protection from being hit when used with a save action. It can be broken. I don’t think I want her to carry an actual physical object but there is a modifier when the shield is on her body. This is Innate for +2.5 CPs. So visually she will use her TK to lift and reinforce her hair to provide a shielding. To represent the shield breaking that will be her hair being cut off or damage.

Base 20 CPs provides a +4 to Physical Defense and +10 to breakpoint so for a standard hero the breakpoint is 21. Adding innate bring it to 22.5 CPs which is 23.

Shield with innate modifier = 23

Now to Shaping ability, I want to get her the ability to create objects when needed since TK can only grab things. I keep thinking of creating a key with her TK ability to pick a lock. Visually she will use her TK to shape her hair but TK energy is the source made solid but including her hair allows her to see it since her TK energy isn’t detectable (Unobvious modifier). I want to have it animated so the key can floats and turn on its own so she can open a lock even with her hands tied.

Base 10 CPs of Shaping for 40 lbs per Power Point spent with animated modifier.

Shaping with animated modifier = 15

Since Inertia is last, I need to total up the CPs I spent.

Telekinesis: Kinetic Manipulation; multi-kinetic & unobvious modifiers = 28

Telekinesis: Personal Force Field with can’t block Non-Corporeal, Gas, & Teleportation modifiers = 10

Shield with innate modifier = 23

Shaping with animated modifier = 15

Weakness: Distinctive = -5 CP

That leaves 9 CPs. Inertia is both in 2.5 CP increments so that means I can buy 7.5 CPs of inertia for 8 CPs providing +3 to MASS roll vs Knockback.

Physical Ability: Inertia = 8

This leaves 1 CP. I will add this to her Cool BC as that will bump her to the next level for her stats especially initiative dice. So here are her final abilities.

Telekinesis: Kinetic Manipulation; multi-kinetic & unobvious modifiers = 28

Telekinesis: Personal Force Field with can’t block Non-Corporeal, Gas, & Teleportation modifiers = 10

Shield with innate modifier = 23

Shaping with animated modifier = 15

Physical Ability: Inertia = 8

Heightened Cool +1 = 1

Weakness: Distinctive = -5 CP

Now I am finished. I am really happy with her. She is the daughter of Night Wraith, a PC of mind with Stretching abilities which in her is seen in her hair and TK ability.

I thought of calling her Poltergeist but too many times it has been used in comics, not well but used. So I will use it to create her Identity, She is Polly T Geist. For her name I decide she will use her Father’s name with an alteration. He is Night Wraith. She will be Astral Wraith.


3 comments:

  1. Where did you get that sheet, it looks fantastic !!! I would love to get my hands on it, would that be possible ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Send me your email at calebhero@sbcglobalDOTnet and I will be glad to send it to you. Remember to replace the DOT is the single character.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete